Use Aubiose if -
- You need to keep stabling costs and mucking out time to a minimum without compromising on your horse’s comfort or health
After an epic Googling session, I came across Aubiose, a hemp based Horse bedding which ticked all of my boxes. I will be honest and say that initially, I discounted it due to the cost per bale – ie around £8.85. What I hadn’t realised was that you use so little of it that you only need top up with a bale every week to ten days, as opposed to 2/3 for the likes of shavings, wood pellets, straw etc. This means that over the course of a few months, you’re actually spending much less on Aubiose. With 3 horses to stable, that sounded good to me.
Juliette from Aubiose came out to do a trial bed for me so that I could see for myself, using 8 bales (which went a very long way!) and Monty would be chief tester. The boy is quite wet, and also boxwalks for a pastime especially having been out 24/7 for the past few months. His immediate reaction was to roll, something he’s done every day since! Always a good sign. In the morning I sifted through to take out the poo, and as instructed left the wet which was nowhere to be seen, all sucked up at the base nowhere near the horse. I took out a really small amount of waste, and followed Juliette’s instructions to only dig out the once a week.
I was so impressed that when I saw an offer on Aubiose at a local saddlery, I went and bought 20 bales, and put Ruby and Blue on it too. Since then my love affair with Aubiose has grown – I expected hysterical shrieking horses and boxwalking at the change in routine, but just happy relaxed horses.
For me, it ticked my ‘essential boxes’ and provided a few more unexpected positives too. For all the reasons below, Aubiose Horse Bedding is my buy of the week.
· Time efficient: Super quick to muck out in the mornings before work; just pick out the poo and only dig out the wet from the base once a week (I do it on the weekend when I have more time)
· Really economical: Essential especially when you have more than one horse. Using only bag ever 7-10 days is fantastic
· Super absorbent: Sucks up moisture at the base well away from the horse, so no nasty smells or stinky wet patches on their rugs. Great for wet horses
· Comfortable & supportive: Makes a lovely, fluffy substantial comfy bed for them to stand, roll or lay on with good banks. It's like the Hilton for horses, but without the price tag!
· Dust free: ZERO dust so no horrible coughs
Extra bonus points
· Minimal waste: 3 boxes mucked out doesn’t even fill a barrow so less trips to the muck heap
· No filled legs: I’ve not had to use Blue’s Equisox once, as his legs haven’t filled from standing in
· No boxwalking: Ruby & Blue haven’t boxwalked so the beds are so much quicker and easier to muck out
· No weaving: Blue’s frantic weaving has been non-existent
· Excellent customer service: Juliette has been fantastic in answering my questions, advising and providing a trial bed
· Clean: Stays looking fresh and clean and inviting instead of discolouring